Travel Tour 1 - The Classic Mount Yasur Volcano Trip.
[Updated 12th April 2017]
Mount Yasur - Experience the awesome power that is Mother Nature ........
Travel Tour Overview from Esso's Accommodation :
• The classic Mt Yasur tour is designed to have visitors at the Volcano at twilight, so as to be able to observe it when the colour, vigor and energy of its eruptions are the most visible. Leaving the Tanna adventures accommodation by about 1.00pm, via 4WD over unsealed roads through the central Tanna highlands, various stops are made to view spectacular outlooks of both Yasur Volcano and the the east Tanna coastline.
• Arriving at the Ash plain, time is spent at a variety of points to take in the panoramic view, the vegetation and differing textures and forms taken on by the Ash Plain iteself, and the base of the volcano.
• Back in the 4WD vehicle, visitors are take around the mountain to the entrance of the Volcano Reserve, which is attended by the official Volcano Guides. Your entrance payment into the volcano area is included within your cost and will be paid for (presently being Vt 7,500 per person).
• Arriving at the makeshift carpark about half an hour to three quarters of an hour prior to dusk, visitors climb a set of steps (approx 100 or so ) to a lower viewing area, which has sweeping views over the full summit. Depending on the vigor and ferocity of the activity, good views are obtained of flying lava, debris and venting fumes, along with the loud booming sounds exhibited by Mount Yasur.
• For the more adventurous (nearly everyone), a short but steep climb around the back of the initial viewing up to the rim takes about half an hour. The steepness requires some exertion, and the virtigo at the top of the Yasur volcano rim is not for the faint hearted. Generally each group is assigned a volcano guide with torches to look after you, but there is no fences or pathways, and you really feel a part of something raw and untouched. The view of the caldera is spectacular and provides a natural fireworks display to match any that is man made.
• After approximately an hour to an hour and a half ( but depending on visitors desire to stay or go), the guides shine the way back down from the volcano rim, back to the waiting vehicles.
• Return to starting point in the dark, but with the time seeming to be much shorter due to the excited discussions abouty what everyone has seen and experienced. Arrival back is about 8.00-8.30 pm.
• Arrangements for dinner should be made prior to leaving so that it will be ready on return.
Added Overview Travelling from the Whitegrass Coast :
• If the tour is taken from any of the accommodation along the whitegrass coast, then approximately 1 hour can be added to the tour time (half an hour each way).
Classic Mount Yasur Trip - Travel Timeframe:
• Approximate timeframe is 6 hours from leaving Esso's accommodation until return. This depends on road conditions, weather and the activity of Mt Yasur itself.
• Approximate travel time by 4WD from Esso's Nima to the base of Mount Yasur is 1.75-2.00 hours ( each way).
• Approximate time at Mount Yasur Volcano is 1.50-2.00 hours.
• No afternoon tea is provided so should any refreshments be required please request these well in advance ( charge to be arranged with Esso).
Ways to Book Tanna Island Tours & Walks.
Check out our 'no obligation' Personalized Booking Service which will give you a number of personalized options from us, to suit your requirements. Click the buttom below to be taken to our booking queries page.
If you would like to know about our booking process, and all the options which are available to you - have a look at our Making a Booking Guide.
Tour Rates - Classic Mt Yasur Volcano Tour.
Tour rates are in Vanuatu Vatu for the following Participant numbers. You will pay the rate in Vatu as shown - the displayed amount in AU$ is indiicative (* see below) and the actual rate will be based on the exchange rate at the time of booking.
Please note that the Single Participant rate applies if there is only one person in the Vehicle ( person must be over 18 yrs old). If a single traveller does the tour when there are other Participants, then the rate will reduce to that of the two Participant or more rate. The Single Rate applies due to the extremely high running costs of Vehicles on Tanna Island.
• ONLINE BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below apply. A deposit of is required at the time of booking, with the balance paid in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• CASUAL (IMPROMPTU, NON-ONLINE) BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below PLUS a 15% surcharge apply. Full payment rquired in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• TOUR START/FINISH POINT - Rates apply from Departures from Esso and Rachel's accommodation, or from Whitegrass Coast near to Tanna Airport ( and including Evergreen or Whitegrass Accommodation's). Other localities may incur additional pickup/dropoff costs).
|- per Adult.||[18 yrs and older]||Vatu||22,500||(AU$||297.00)|
|TWO OR MORE
PARTICIPANTS ON TOUR.
|- per Adult.||[13 yrs and older with
adult 18yr or older]
|- per Child.||[5 yrs - 12 yrs ]||Vatu||
|- per Infant.||[5 yrs and under]||Vatu||
Important Note : Mt Yasur itself is managed by a Government appointed organisation, who also sets the entrance fees. As of 1st April 2016 they increased the entrance fee per person by 124% for the year 1st April 2016 until 31st March 2017. The administrators have further increased the entrance fee on top of those imposed in 2016 by 40% as at 1st April 2017, and we understand that these are to apply until 31st March 2018. The charges are across the board and affect everyone who enters the facility - we are sorry for the imposition of the increased fees, which are beyond our control.
* Approximate equivalent rates are given in Australian Dollars to provides prospective guests with an FX comparision. Australian FX Rates given here are per Average of ANZ Bank and Westpac Bank Published Rate Dated 12th April 2017 ( 1 AU$ = 75.80 Vatu).