Walk 1 - Second (Lenuingao) Waterfall & Beach.
[Updated 12th April 2017]
The best way to understand the Tanna landscape and its beauty is to get up close and personal ........
Inspiring Bush Walk Overview from Esso's Nima:
• Leaving Tanna adventures accommodation either ealry morning ( 8.30am) or immediately after an early lunch (12.00pm), take a guided bush walk over untouched tribal lands of Esso's family. The walk takes travellers over little used bush tracks and through areas where there are no tracks at all.
• At several places along the route, coming out on plateaus with extensive outllooks, view a number of small offshore islands and the east coast shoreline.
• Delve deep into an area where a number of large trees occur, which are the roosting place for thousands of flying foxes (fruit Bats). Sneak up to obtain the best views and watch as they take off from their perches and settle back down.
• Continue down into fairly dense bush and rugged country, marvelling at the diversity of trees and plant life along with the amazing effect of light as it shrouds or highlights the bush.
• Coming out at the top of a large waterfall, take in a huge island panorama from the top. The waterfall occurs in two parts, with a seies of short jumbles and steps at the top which belies the sudden fall off which occurs at the larger lower section. This appreciation is not taken in until the traveller has climbed down through steep bush at one side of the waterfall. Take time to swim in the pool below the waterfall and walk under the torrential cascading water.
• Walk along the stream down onto the black sand beach which is typical of the eastern shoreline. View the pattens of pumice stones which have been washed up on the shoreline, which occur periodically due to underwater volcanes and spouts nearby.
• Watch local 'Man tanna' fishing on the coral outcropping, while their families set up camp for the day in temporary shelters erected along the shore for overnight stays.
• At a special large waterhole hidden amongst the coral beach heads, cool down and enjoy the waves breaking over its outer edge when the tide comes in. View the beach escarpment behind filled with coconut palms and Mount Yasur smoking in the background.
• Climb a short but very steep hill side, with the track taking a series of switchbacks to get to the top.
• If a vehicle has been arranged, and conditions allow, be collected at the top of the hill, or better still walk back up a rudimentary vehicle track taking in a number of Banyan trees, along the way. The walk tales about three quarters of an hour up gentle but contantly rising topography.
Added Overview Travelling from the Whitegrass Coast :
• If the tour is taken from any of the accommodation along the whitegrass coast, then approximately 1 hour can be added to the tour time (half an hour each way), for transport to the location and back to you accommodation on the whitegrass coast.
'Kastom' Walk to Esso's Travel Timeframe:
• Approximate timeframe is 4.0-5.0 hours from start of walk to arriving at Esso's Nima. This depends on road and walking track conditions, as well as the weather and walking pace of participants on the tour.
Ways to Book Tanna Island Tours & Walks.
Check out our 'no obligation' Personalized Booking Service which will give you a number of personalized options from us, to suit your requirements. Click the buttom below to be taken to our booking queries page.
If you would like to know about our booking process, and all the options which are available to you - have a look at our Making a Booking Guide.
Tour Rates - Second Waterfall (Lenuingao).
Tour rates are in Vanuatu Vatu for the following Participant numbers. You will pay the rate in Vatu as shown - the displayed amount in AU$ is indiicative (* see below) and the actual rate will be based on the exchange rate at the time of booking.
Please note that the Single Participant rate applies if there is only one person on the walk( person must be over 18 yrs old). If a single traveller does the tour when there are other Participants, then the rate will reduce to that of the two or more Participant rate.
• ONLINE BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below apply. A deposit of is required at the time of booking, with the balance paid in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• CASUAL (IMPROMPTU, NON-ONLINE) BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below PLUS a 15% surcharge apply. Full payment rquired in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• TOUR START/FINISH POINT - Rates apply from Departures from Esso and Rachel's accommodation. Other localities incur additional pickup/dropoff costs.
|- per Adult.||[18 yrs and older]||Vatu||4,200||(AU$||56.00)|
|TWO OR MORE
PARTICIPANTS ON TOUR.
|- per Adult.||[13 yrs and older with
adult 18yr or older]
|- per Child.||[5 yrs - 12 yrs ]||Vatu||
|- per Infant.||[5 yrs and under]
* Approximate equivalent rates are given in Australian Dollars to provides prospective guests with an FX comparision. Australian FX Rates given here are per Average of ANZ Bank and Westpac Bank Published Rate Dated 12th April 2017 ( 1 AU$ = 75.80 Vatu).