Inspiring Walk 3 - 'Kastom' Walk to Black Magic.
[Updated 12th April 2017]
The best way to understand 'kastom' trails, culture and the spiritual side of Tanna Island life .......
One of the popular walks to do, is the kastom walk to Black Magic, which combines two aspects of life on Tanna Island - namely 'Kastom Trails', and 'Kastom Rituals'.
Kastom trails provide a demarcation of land ownership between villages - neutral ground that is sacrosanct to all. For that reason protocols have developed for walking on the trails, entering villages and Nakamals. For travellers, walking the trails provides a non touristy peek into Tannese life, at is simply not available otherwise.
Other islands of Vanuatu are renowned for their magic, but it is little understood that substantial ritual magic was also present on Tanna Island.
Travel Tour Overview from Esso's Accommodation :
• Walkers leave from The Tanna Adventures restaurant after breakfast down the only steepish section of the walk to the deep valley containing the creek which heads down to Lenuanatuaiu waterfall. Travellers then head along the creek for a short distance, before connecting onto one of the 'Kastom' trails.
• The 'Kastom' walk from Esso's to "Black Magic" takes about three hours and generally goes over easy walking tracks. The 'Kastom walk itself is not a touristy excursion, but a walk through real life and you get to go through about three or four villages and generally experience whatever is going on there ( from just another day, through to a funeral, or a feast or celebration).
• 'Black magic" is a show, you would not think it ,and is quite surprising. I will not say too much about it as it will spoil it .
Added Overview Travelling from the Whitegrass Coast :
• If the tour is taken from any of the accommodation along the whitegrass coast, then approximately 1 hour can be added to the tour time (half an hour each way).
Kastom Walk to Black Magic - Travel Timeframe:
• Approximate timeframe is four to five hours.
• Approximate walk time for the Kastom walk is three to three and a half hours.
• The Black Magic show takes about 1 hour.
• the pickup and drive back to Esso's is about 20 minutes.
Ways to Book Tanna Island Tours & Walks.
Check out our 'no obligation' Personalized Booking Service which will give you a number of personalized options from us, to suit your requirements. Click the buttom below to be taken to our booking queries page.
If you would like to know about our booking process, and all the options which are available to you - have a look at our Making a Booking Guide.
Walk Rates - Kastom Walk to Black Magic.
Tour rates are in Vanuatu Vatu for the following Participant numbers. You will pay the rate in Vatu as shown - the displayed amount in AU$ is indiicative (* see below) and the actual rate will be based on the exchange rate at the time of booking.
Please note that the Single Participant rate applies if there is only one person on the walk ( person must be over 18 yrs old). If a single traveller does the tour when there are other Participants then the rate will reduce to that of the two or more Participant rate.
• ONLINE BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below apply. A deposit of is required at the time of booking, with the balance paid in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• CASUAL (IMPROMPTU, NON-ONLINE) BOOKINGS - Rates specified in table below PLUS a 15% surcharge apply. Full payment rquired in Vatu (Cash) to Esso at the time of departure.
• TOUR START/FINISH POINT - Rates apply from Departures from Esso and Rachel's accommodation. Other localities incur additional pickup/dropoff costs).
|- per Adult.||[18 yrs and older]||Vatu||4,300||(AU$||57.00)|
|TWO OR MORE
PARTICIPANTS ON TOUR.
|- per Adult.||[13 yrs and older with
adult 18yr or older]
|- per Child.||[5 yrs -12 yrs]||Vatu||
|- per Infant.||[5 yrs and under]
* Approximate equivalent rates are given in Australian Dollars to provides prospective guests with an FX comparision. Australian FX Rates given here are per Average of ANZ Bank and Westpac Bank Published Rate Dated 12th April 2017 ( 1 AU$ = 75.80 Vatu).